After deciding to pause digital asset donations last week following backlash from one of its co-founders, Mozilla now faces criticism from crypto insiders. The founder of Dogecoin was among the most vocal commentators, alleging Mozilla for succumbing to an “ignorant, reactionary internet mob.”
- The Mozilla Foundation, a San Francisco-based non-profit organization supporting the development of the Firefox browser, enabled crypto donations a long time ago. Most recently, it added the largest memecoin by market cap – Dogecoin.
- This statement attracted attention from people formerly engaged with the browser or the organization behind it. Jamie Zawinsk, who helped co-found Mozilla, was the harshest critique, saying that those who made the decision should be “witheringly ashamed” to partner with “planet-incinerating Ponzi grifters.”
- Shortly after, the Mozilla Foundation published a Twitter thread explaining that it has started an “important discussion about cryptocurrency’s environmental impact.”
- More importantly, though, the post asserted that Mozilla had halted cryptocurrency donations for the time being.
- As Dogecoin was in the epicenter of this online battle between Mozilla, its co-founder, the community, and everyone else who got involved, the memecoin’s creator continues to be highly vocal.
- Shibetoshi Nakamoto, as is his Twitter handle, blasted Mozilla and had particularly strong words for its co-founder, calling him an “ignorant, reactionary internet mob.”
- He also spoke about the “environmental costs” of paper dollars – which Mozilla still accepts for donations – and the “entire banking infrastructure.”
to be clear, we should care about the environment, just y’know, recognize that if we are living in a first world country and whining on Twitter, we are pretty terrible for the planet, and stop trying to act like everything is the worst thing ever and we are all saints
— Shibetoshi Nakamoto (@BillyM2k) January 7, 2022
Binance Free $100 (Exclusive): Use this link to register and receive $100 free and 10% off fees on Binance Futures first month (terms).
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to register & enter POTATO50 code to get 25% off trading fees.
You Might Also Like:
Mozilla Co-Founder Calls Crypto Donors Planet-Incinerating Ponzi Grifters
Mozilla Distances Itself From Crypto Donations After Intense Backlash
DOGE Soars 20%: Elon Musk Says Tesla Will Accept Dogecoin for Some Merchandise