After El Salvador made history earlier this year by accepting bitcoin as a legal tender, the number of countries planning to mimic the move continues to grow. A recent report showed that Cuba’s Central Bank wants to implement rules enabling the nation to utilize digital assets legally.
- CryptoPotato reported in May this year when Cuba’s President – Miguel Díaz Canel – working with other authorities in the country reviewed possible ways how to adopt cryptocurrencies to overcome the financial turbulence, which intensified after the COVID-19.
- Earlier on August 27th, Bloomberg cited the local Official Gazette informing that the nation is indeed planning to step into the digital asset space.
- The report indicated that Cuba’s government, together with the Central Bank, wants to recognize and regulate cryptocurrencies for payments.
- The central banking authority will implement the rules and determine how to license providers of such services that can operate within the island.
- Cuba’s economy has suffered for years, but it took another hit when the former US President Trump’s administration implemented new sanctions and crippled the usage of the dollar. A recent estimation by a senior Cuban ministry official, Johana Tabalada, noted that these measures had cost the country around $20 billion.
“The damage to the bilateral relationship during this time has been considerable, and the economic harm to Cuba immense. We estimate it at about $20 billion.” – Talabata commented.
- Consequently, the decentralized nature of bitcoin and some cryptocurrencies could provide a viable alternative for Cuba.
- Nevertheless, the state wants to make sure that the digital asset operations are controlled to an extent and to use them for “reasons of socio-economic interest.”
- It’s worth noting that El Salvador was the first nation to accept BTC as a legal tender. Its law comes into effect in less than two weeks.
Binance Futures 50 USDT FREE Voucher: Use this link to register & get 10% off fees and 50 USDT when trading 500 USDT (limited offer).
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to register & enter POTATO50 code to get 50% free bonus on any deposit up to 1 BTC.
You Might Also Like:
Paraguayan Official Confirms: In July We Legislate Bitcoin
World Bank Shuns El Salvador Bitcoin Adoption Plan
It’s Official: Bitcoin a Legal Tender in El Salvador Following a Supermajority Decision
Tags: Bitcoin Bitcoin Adoption Donald Trump El Salvador